Last month, Manila welcomed another Gary V(ee).
Obviously, we’re not talking about the Filipino-Puerto Rican songwriter/musician/actor who also goes by the moniker “Mr. Pure Energy.” No, Gary Vaynerchuck is a different kind of rockstar altogether.
If you don't know who is, are you living under a rock? Check out this video to catch up.
Born in modern-day Belarus, Vaynerchuk migrated to the US with his family in 1978. Even as a youngster, he was no stranger to the art of the hustle as he operated a lemonade stand franchise and made thousands of dollars trading baseball cards on weekends. He even joined his family’s wine retail business at the ripe old age of 14.
However, it is Vaynerchuk’s social media prowess that has made him quite legendary in the digital marketing world. Not only did he grow the annual sales of his family’s wine business from USD3 million to USD60 million through e-commerce, but he, along with his brother AJ, founded VaynerMedia, a social media-focused digital agency that helps Fortune 500 companies like Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo, and Mondelez with their social media strategies.
The company also partnered with Vimeo to connect brands and filmmakers for digital content. In 2016 alone, Vaynerchuk’s VaynerMedia reportedly grossed US$100 million in revenue.
Little wonder then that quite a sizeable crowd show up to hear what Vaynerchuk had to say at his event last month. A guy who can produce those kinds of results on social media must surely know what he’s doing.
There is so much wisdom to get from him. His authentic and "no holds barred"attitude will you give a new perspective in your life. I mean, just watch this video for the #1 Reason Why People Fail to Achieve Their Dreams:
And if this is not enough for you, here are four weeks’ worth of his nuggets of wisdom to get you through a remote worker’s everyday hustle:
1.“You have to understand your own personal DNA. Don’t do things because I do them or Steve Jobs or Mark Cuban tried it. You need to know your personal brand and stay true to it.”
2. “Skills are cheap. Passion is priceless.”
3. “No matter what you do, your job is to tell your story.”
4. “Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, what do I want to do everyday for the rest of my life…do that.”
5. “There’s no reason in 2014, to do shit you hate. NONE.”
6. “The truth is that finding happiness in what you do every day is so imperative.”
7. “You didn’t grow up driving…you figured it out.”
8. “There is never a bad time to start a business – unless you want to start a mediocre one.”
9. “Time – the one asset none of us are ever gonna get more of.”
10. “All your ideas may be solid or even good .. But you have to Actually EXECUTE on them for them to matter.”
11. “Love your family, work super hard, live your passion.”
12. “I’m just always looking forwards. I spend very little time, looking backwards.”
13. “Effort is grossly underrated.”
14. “You can market your ass off, but if your product sucks, you’re dead.”
15. “I hate how many people think “glass half-empty” when their glass is really four-fifths full. I’m grateful when I have one drop in the glass because I know exactly what to do with it.”
16. “If you live for the weekends and vacations, your shit is broken.”
17. “You need to spend all of your time and energy on creating something that actually brings value to the people you’re asking for money!”
18. “Stop whining, start hustling.”
19. “Know the philosophy, know the details, and ignore everything in the middle.”
20. “We are in control of the one asset that we all give the most f#%ks about, and that is time.”
21. “We only get to play this game one time…one life.”
22. “Whether you’re 9 or 90, stop trying to fix the things you’re bad at, and focus on the things you’re good at.”
23. “When it call comes down to it, nothing trumps execution.”
24. “Your legacy is being written by yourself. Make the right decisions.”
25. “A penguin cannot become a giraffe, so just be the best penguin you can be.”
26. “It’s easy to dream about it … Much harder to execute it ….Work!”
27. “Relationships are leverage. If you give value to someone else first, you have leverage.”
28. “We’re not really good at knowing what we want, and we are very quick to say ‘this sucks.’ That’s where the opportunity lies.”
Establishing your brand on social media can be quite tricky unless your last name is Jenner or Kardashian, but as Gary Vaynerchuk’s quotable quotes show, putting in the right amount of sincerity, time, and effort can still go a long way.